Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn

An idea. You are at the end of your rope. Maybe not today, but perhaps someday. Keep this under your hat. Read Henry Miller. Preferably an old edition you find lying around somewhere. Probably somebody hid one in a closet, because Miller was banned for a long time. That's how my first Miller book came into my hands. In 1973 I bought a house owned by a university professor. While I was cleaning, readying to move in, I found Tropic of Cancer tucked behind a hot water heater in its own small dark closet. At the time I was divorcing for my own sanity, yet I was feeling rather out on a limb. I was basically risking everything. And Miller was saying, "Go ahead. Everything ain't anything anyway." There is where life began. Maybe that is where it can begin for you, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment